Monday, January 19, 2009

A new years goal...

What is it about a New Years? It is a strange phenomena, one day (Dec 31) we are burdened down with the economy, elections, the housing crash, weight gained and lost and gained, sorrows and joys we felt the last 12 months, and then bam...we go to sleep and wake up the next morning (Jan 1) feeling renewed... like all our previous cares of the day before are gone. When in reality, it is the same week, and we still have our burdens, but for some reason we feel hope for better things to come. We feel like we can set goals and succeed, we look forward to writing a new year on our checks just because it's tomorrow.

I must admit, I am terrible at goal setting and every January, I sit down and write down my goals. This works for a week or two, and then I go back to my old self and go back to my old, habitual ways.

Well, this year, may be the same, but I have a new incentive. I only tell you this because, I am hoping that if I write it down and somebody besides myself reads it, then maybe I will work harder to achieve this. Now if you know me well, you know that I HATE my teeth. Yep, they are not teeth I can be proud of, and for years, I have envied anyone and all who have shiny white, straight, perfect teeth, well perfect in my eyes.

So, my good husband has challenged me...now it wasn't entirely his idea, I planted it in his mind not really realizing it, but it is brilliant. Now again, if you know me well, or not so well even, you know I HATE to exercise and diet... and I have battled with my weight for years now, only to become a living yo-yo. You ask, 'what does this have to do with my teeth?". Well, I will tell you.

The other day, we were driving home from Vegas and I mentioned to Jamie that I would LOVE to have a nice set of teeth....not dentures, but I wished my teeth were different, white, lovely etc...He told me that if I can get down below a certain weight, (no, I am not telling you, but trust me it is substantial), that he would pay for me to get my teeth fixed, capped, veneered, or whatever.

Now he didn't tell me this, because he thinks I am a fat slob, but because he knows I am trying to lose weight and have had trouble with finding an incentive to lose it. So in front of the 12 people or so that read my blog...I am going to strive for this goal, however long it takes! I am hoping though, that by June I am well on my way, because I have a cruise to go on!

5 comments:

Jen Bay said...

And I am sooooo excited for that cruise!

Anonymous said...

First of all, GOOD FOR YOU!! You can do it! You looked great in Vegas, by the way, but i know you will feel better when you get to the weight you want...Second, where is this cruise you are going on??

Robin said...

Good luck on meeting your goal. I am so excited for the cruise.

Linds said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linds said...

I agree with New Years Resolutions, I just don't get it. Like anyone is suddenly going to make all these changes in their life just because their is another digit added to the year!

Work on making manageable lifestyle changes one at a time that you can actually live with when trying to loose weight. Usually when someone jumps in with a whole new lifestyle they aren't successful, unless they've got a unique situation like on the Biggest Looser. I know I'm not the best example of loosing the weight I want, but when I did loose some it was when I started making small changes that I could stick with, not a bunch all at once. It also helps you reach little goals one at a time rather than getting discouraged that you aren't at the final weight you want. Good luck, I'm already thinking about loosing weight, but I've got months to go until I can!