Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mt. Rushmore-a proud moment



This summer, as my mom and I finished up in Nebraska, we headed for home via South Dakota. We decided to head up to Mt. Rushmore since I had never seen it in person. It was a gorgeous day, cloudless blue sky, rugged hills lined with emerald green meadows dotted with bison. As we approached Mt. Rushmore, I was anxious to see this great land mark that I had only heard of and seen in picture books. I really didn't know what to expect, except some faces of past presidents carved in rock. As we came around the final bend, I looked up and saw this magnificent mountain with sculptures of 4 of the greatest, most influential presidents of this great country. The majestic sculpted mountain against the brilliant blue sky was breath-taking. I was in awe at this great art sculpture and was having trouble fighting back my emotions. I suddenly felt very patriotic ready to sing out on demand the National Anthem. Luckily for mom and those around me, I resisted the urge! It was a time to reflect on what a great blessing it is to live in this great country and how proud I am to be an American. It was to me one of the most spiritual moments that I will not soon forget.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that's not a postcard??? I hope to get there one day...